Monday 10 January 2011

Prompt 1 ~ The Names of Things

Give your writing power and focus by being specific.  So, write silver birch instead of tree or red Datsun instead of car.  I don't mean fancy.  You don't have to use ornate language.  Just give things their names.

If you'd like an example, take a look at this.  It's a link to a poem by William Carlos Williams (and one of my favourites). 

Then come back and do this:

Write down the names of 3 things from each room in your house.
Be specific.
Sit with the list for a while and see what comes.
What stands out? (or what's missing?)
Does anything tug at you?  Why or why not?
Tell us about it.

Respond to the prompt however you want to - freewriting, poem, story, etc.  Whatever it brings up is fine, you don't have to follow the instructions to the letter.  If you'd like to share what you've written, however rough or polished, post it on your blog and leave a comment below with your post's url.  At least one of us will come over and read it.

Thank you!

6 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

excellent, I'm a great believer in being specific with names, specially plants and animals. I'll try and write a poem for this prompt, I need something to write other than my short story that's got stuck...

see me said...

I need to give this a try- thank you- I'll let you know when I'm done and when and where it's posted on my blog

nà from the treehouse said...

Good to hear you'll be trying out the prompt - thanks lots for letting us know! I shall be experimenting with it, too, over the next few days and will post back when I've done!
Have fun!

Heartful said...

Our first participant:

http://bit.ly/g3Nutg

Thanks Stuart!

nà from the treehouse said...

I've tried too, my attempt is at:

treeshadowmoon.blogspot.com

Still time to join in, if anyone else would like to!

R.A.W said...

My first attempt at writing since leaving school..
http://rhianwelham.blogspot.com/2011/01/26-prompt-1-names-of-things.html